Discussion Forums - Forums for discussion of accessible web site design
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  Content Enhanced - Use Any Browser
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posts to this forum are now disabled due to low use and abuse by spammers.

No background images
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Browser Issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deckland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: No background images Reply with quote

Hi folks...

First of all, I'm just a user, not a designer.

I have an issue with both FF and IE6...

It seems that anything in the background on any site i view on either browser is simply not there.

Banners, text and pictures are there, but if there's say any shading or colour behind, what i view defaults to white with black text, often showing text-box style borders.

This has occurred on my laptop, which has up-to-date anti-virus, and anti-spyware software, and as far as i can remember didn't seem to occur after any particular program installs or specific changes.

One site to show an example.... BattlestarGalactica.com

On the home PC (on both browsers) it displays normally, with black background, white text and links, stars on the background image.Ad links appear in red, links to other sections of the site on the left of the page are in white, with white bullet points.

On the laptop, all text and pics appear in the correct positions, but all text is black on a plain white background Ad links to the right of the page appear in blue. Left side links are blue with black bullet points.

Running XP with SP2 and as up to date as Microsoft tell me I can be...

Hoping someone can give me an idea of why this might be happening.

Thanks,

Deckland.
Deckland

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything further?

FF version is 2.0.0.1, IE6 is latest, as far as I can tell

And no, I DON'T want to go to IE7.
tripleshift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, i don't quite get what the problem is, maybe a few screenshots will help.

anyway, the fact that this problem only occurs on one single machine, makes me think of something that blocks parts of what comes from the net (maybe antivirus or firewall).

bye
tripleshift

Deckland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, firstly, I have no clue as to how to provide screenshots..... I'm guessing if I knew this stuff, I mightn't need to ask for help.

And sorry, but I thought I'd explained it as clearly as I could, giving the best description I could. The regular background you see (I may be wrong, but isn't this referred to as "style rendering") simply doesn't appear, it's like the site only displays as if it's a white background, with default for text and link colours and such. Anything a web designer has done to alter background colour or image, along with modifying text colours does not display on the affected machine.

And yes, I realize it's only occurring on a single machine, but I have no way of knowing what to do in order to compare settings etc. between the 2 machines.... hence the request for help.
Deckland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A further update....

I have now removed completely, downloaded latest version and instlalled FF 2.0.0.1, as well as going to IE7 (even though I didn't want to) in an attempt to see if this works...

It didn't.

I have though installed Opera version 9.10, build 8679, and it works fine...

This is most frustrating, as FF is my preferred choice of browser.
tripleshift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the fact opera works makes my guess a little bit less probable, even though not completely.

you should anyway check if your firewall or antivirus or both is set to block some content while having no exception rule for ie and ff.

then you should check if firefox with a new profile still behaves the same, since uninstalling ff does absolutely nothing.

if you don't know how to provide screenshots, you can find several (free) softwares on the net to make one.
and if you already have an image editing program, you can simply press your print screen key to copy a screenshot in your clipboard and paste it in a new document.

bye
tripleshift

Thetan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm a tech support guy for a university. I was working on a computer today that has the same problems. It seemed that all the tables are organizing without problem but any type of background color/image would not load. Imagine the black menu bar above being a white background, black letters, and simply an outline of the menu bar.

Ok, here's the intersting part. HijackThis and Autoruns look clean, removed any unneeded BHO's, activeX is all good. It is running a Symantec Corporate Edition which has a passive, auto-protect feature. Something is disabling the auto-protect feature, not allowing it to be started.

I created a new test user account and logged in. Was able to get onto websites and everything would load without problems. All websites were as they should be and colored properly. The antivirus auto-protect in this profile was also being disabled though.

So somehow I believe that this is some how user account linked and was hoping it would shed some light for you smart ones out there. I got some screenshots too, so if you need some please let me know.

Thx,
Thetan
Deckland

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i now have screenshot software, but if someone can let me know how to post a GIF image in here, then I can chow you what I'm on about.
tripleshift

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckland wrote:
Ok, i now have screenshot software, but if someone can let me know how to post a GIF image in here, then I can chow you what I'm on about.

use this:
http://imageshack.us/

bye
tripleshift

Deckland

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, done the ImageShack thing....

Here's how it looks in Opera now (and USED to in FF and IE)

[img=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5328/operascreenshotbsgjz2.th.gif]

And here's how it looks now in FF and IE...

[img=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8751/ffscreenshotbsgbx0.th.gif]

Here's hoping this helps someone understand what's happening and point me at a possible solution.

Thanks,
tripleshift

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it looks exactly as when you disable page colors through the "webdeveloper bar" extension for firefox.
is that the case?
this would solve the ff issue eventually, but not ie's though. Confused

have you checked antivirus and firewall as i said (try deactivating them for a minute)?
and if you don't have webdeveloper bar installed with page colors disabled in firefox, would you please try with a new profile as i said before?

bye
tripleshift

Deckland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy again Tripleshift...

Thanks for the ideas, but still a big NO I'm afraid...

Deleting FF profile proved to have no result, as did turning off the antivirus and firewall. No joy, situation remains the same.

As for "Web Developer", I don't have any extensions at all on FF, so that can't be it either - sorry.

I may have to just ditch it and use Opera instead.... seems to be useful on the sites I visit with no dramas so far.

Thanks for your thoughts, but it seems like this one's for the "too hard " basket.
willie83

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into this problem today using IE 6. A site that I developed worked fine a few days ago suddenly stopped showing the background image, but only on one machine and only when I use IE 6. I have FF on the same machine that displays the BG image just fine. It also works fine in IE 7. I see some have had the problem using FF, also. I had a feeling it had to do with the latest MS update so I rolled it back, to no avail.

Has anyone been able to solve this yet?
mdoc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deckland wrote:
Alright, done the ImageShack thing....

Here's how it looks in Opera now (and USED to in FF and IE)

[img=http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5328/operascreenshotbsgjz2.th.gif]

And here's how it looks now in FF and IE...

[img=http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8751/ffscreenshotbsgbx0.th.gif]

Here's hoping this helps someone understand what's happening and point me at a possible solution.

Thanks,

This is probably due to HTML coding errors in the webpages that may affect some browsers and not others (and maybe affects all browsers). The fact that "it used to work before..." indicates the code was changed. Run the webpage through an HTML validator and you'll see the errors. See http://www.htmlvalidator.com/

Thererfore, I wouldn't worry about it, especially if this problem doesn't show up at any other website.
mdoc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're still seeing the anomaly in IE, then it's not the coding error as I described above, because I can see the website normally in IE7 and FF 2.0.

We know it's not the result of a virus or a firewall issue at all. We also know the problem's on the laptop. So it would follow that the solution is on the laptop, too.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Browser Issues All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: