Discussion Forums - Forums for discussion of accessible web site design
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  Content Enhanced - Use Any Browser
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posts to this forum are now disabled due to low use and abuse by spammers.

"Browse" button

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Accessible Design Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dthievin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: "Browse" button Reply with quote

I use a mail script that generates a browse button for selecting an attachment. The HTML code does not reflect the word "Browse" yet it appears in the rendered text. I wish it were generated by the mail script, but it's definitely not, so I assume the word is generated by the browser.

Specifically I want to change the word "Browse" to the French equivalent, "Explorer" (which is an eerie coincidence), but I have no idea how to go about this. Any help is much appreciated.
tripleshift

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure i got the question Question
it would help to see the code and a page with it in action.

bye
tripleshift

dthievin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: "Browse..." button in French Reply with quote

The page is at: www.casst.net/fr/contact.shtml

Here you can see that the form is clearly all French but for the "Browse..." button.
tripleshift

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
                  <tr>
                    <td align="left" valign="middle" class="Ta10-17">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Fichier joint</td>
                    <td align="left" valign="middle" colspan="2" class="Ta10-17"><input type="file" class="Ta10-17" name="File"></td>
                  </tr>

try and put the value="Explorer" into input

bye
tripleshift

joerelman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely off-topic: I notice a spelling error on the home page (I don't think Canadian-French spelling differs that much).

Here's the text: "Important : Si vous voulez vous inscrire ‡ l¥ACTSS, veillez cliquer ici et ne pas utiliser le formulaire plus bas."

"Veuillez" would be okay... Wink
tripleshift

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joerelman wrote:
Completely off-topic: I notice a spelling error on the home page (I don't think Canadian-French spelling differs that much).

Here's the text: "Important : Si vous voulez vous inscrire ‡ l¥ACTSS, veillez cliquer ici et ne pas utiliser le formulaire plus bas."

"Veuillez" would be okay... Wink

i checked both terms on google since i don't speak french and it gives these results:

Veillez >>> Take care
Veuillez >>> Want

i don't know which one is better though Confused

bye
tripleshift

joerelman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tripleshift> i checked both terms on google since i don't speak french and it gives these results:...

I do speak French Wink

You're right, both verbs (in infinitive form resp. "veiller" and "vouloir") exist with a different meaning.

"Veuillez xyz" is standard French parlance for "Please xyz", i.e. a polite invitation to do something. Mais avec les Canadiens (ou les cajuns, les Suisses ou les Belges comme moi), on ne sait jamais...
dthievin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: French workaround -- not possible? Reply with quote

Tripleshift:

I've already tried your suggestion above. All this does is place the word "Explorer" into the field that's meant for the filename of the attachment. The statement <input type=file> is apparently geared to render the "Browse..." button -- and that's that.

It appears that it's an insurmountable task to "interfere" with IE's rendering of the "Browse..." button code. I haven't checked with other browsers, but it would be nice to give our French visitors the terms they most understand on the world's most popular browser.

Joerelman, thanks for your comments. Given your location and exposure to English biases that might seem to exist in HTML, maybe you have something to offer for this dilemma. It seems logical that French versions of IE or other browsers must have already dealt with this. In other words, the code might already be delivering an "Explorer..." button?

Many thanks -dt-
joerelman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Given your location and exposure to English biases that might seem to exist in HTML, maybe you have something to offer for this dilemma.

Hm, you got me with a challenge Wink

I wouldn't know, actually. So I googled on
formulaire html fichier parcourir

and that's what I found:
http://www.webmaster-hub.com/publication/article102.html

The author claims that it indeed can be done with a very tricky trick, by overlaying the button and then quite a bit of cheating.

Note that, apparently, on French-Windows installed PCs the button already renders hard-coded as "Parcourir" (instead of "Browse") , as I would expect.

When you prefer "Explorer" instead of the default "Browse" or "Parcourir" or whatever other opsys-configured language, you could use the same trick.

Hope this helps Wink

By the way, I notice another instance of "veillez" on the site... is that really the Canadian-French way of saying or spelling ???
dthievin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: both topics Reply with quote

Joerelman: Thanks sincerely for the link. I'll check that out very thoroughly tomorrow in pursuit of the workaround.

As for the new typo you've discovered, by all means steer me in the right direction. I checked with the translator who quickly and quite nobly agreed with the first error. Please do notify me of any others you've spoted by contacting the webmaster (me) at the casst/actss website.

Thank you again.
-dt-
joerelman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, except for three times "veillez", I find no other spelling mistakes on the home page, nor on a couple of other pages that I looked at --- but don't take me as the ultimate reference, I'm actually a native-Dutch speaker.

Here are the home-page snippets:
- Si vous voulez vous inscrire ‡ l¥ACTSS, veillez cliquer ici et ne pas utiliser le formulaire plus bas.
- Veillez noter : Les documents devraient Ítre sous format MS-Word, ...
- Courriel ÖVeillez utiliser le formulaire qui accompagne

I assume (though I didn't verify) that this flaw slips through French spelling checkers unnoticed, since it's valid French from another verb. It's also an easily-made mistake since both veuillez-veillez sound very much alike in pronounciation.

Good luck with the button overlay. I understand the French language of the text without problem, but I'm not sure if I understand the technical aspects of the trick.
angel1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is with IE8. I experienced the same crap when I tried to use it. I uninstalled it and went back to IE6 and my problems went away. You might try that, and maybe your Firefox will run better also.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Accessible Design Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: