Discussion Forums - Forums for discussion of accessible web site design
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  Content Enhanced - Use Any Browser
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Posts to this forum are now disabled due to low use and abuse by spammers.

Should I use flash or not?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Java/Javascript/Flash/Other
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Should I use flash or not? Reply with quote

I abandoned flash some years ago, but now I am once again tempted.

Is it just sites built entirely in Flash that should be avoided or is it more complex than that. For instance, should I use flash for the main navigation or not?

Or am I being tempted over to the dark side Twisted Evil

Paul
tripleshift

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul, i think the dark side is calling Laughing

the problem with flash is that its contents are exclusively visual, hence inaccessible in the web sense.

web pages are supposed to contain written information for the most part, so it's trivial to render such information in visual ways (img, animations, videos etc.), when is clear that some people won't be able to access them.

every non-textual content (e.g. images, videos etc.) sould be provided in text alternatives as well, otherwise you will always cut off someone.

moreover flash is not good for search engine optimization.
google can't get info from flash as well as it can't from images and videos.
all your texts, links and contents will be hidden.

is like presenting your contents in a jpeg image.

so, to answer you specific question, no, you shouldn't use flash for the main (or any) navigation, as well as you shouldn't use images.

bye
tripleshift

angel1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just recently started to get into website design. I'm hoping at some point I'll be able to offer my services as paid for work.

I'm pretty competent with Photoshop and Dreamweaver, so I've been messing about with the design and coding of certain aspects of web design.

However, I purchased a copy of Adobe Flash CS4 suite from my friend. The only problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to use it. I'd like a VERY simple (of almost idiot's guide proportion) tutorial on how to create a clean preloader. I've found ones through Google which are quite simple looking, but are perhaps to advanced for my liking.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Any Browser Forums Forum Index -> Java/Javascript/Flash/Other All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: